Sunday, April 30, 2017

Julian Müller, 'cellist



 Dear Friends,

I want to share this letter I received from Julian Müller, a fine young 'cellist the Ferris Burtis Music Foundation has been helping with his education and career for the past several years. The Foundation welcomes tax free gifts to help young artists like Julian pursue their talents. 

If you would like to send a tax free gift to the Foundation:
Ferris Burtis Music Foundation
Berkshire Taconic Foundation.
800 North Main St.
Sheffield,MA 01257

Any gifts will go to help these fine young artists and will be greatly appreciated.

Herbert Burtis
www.hburtis.com 

Image result for julian muller cello



Dear Herb,

I hope all is well with you! Since it has been a while I am updating you on how things have been going this past year and looking forward to next year! 

This has been one of the most fruitful years of my learning and education thus far! I have been working immensely hard with my teacher on truly honing in on what I want to say as a musician and how I can most effectively communicate and share the music that I care so deeply about. I have given more performances this year than any before. The Mannes Orchestra celebrated the Mannes Centennial this year with a large Gala Concert at Carnegie Hall with highlights from great repertoire including, Verdi Rigoletto, Mozart Piano Concerto and the last movement of Mahler's Symphony No. 2. I was chosen to be principal of the cello section for this concert, which was a total blast! The evening was hosted by Federica von Stade who also sang a few selections! 

In addition to performing in concerts and recitals for my friends and fellow composers at school, I am working towards my own graduation next week! This is short notice but I cordially invite you to my recital at Mannes on Sunday, May 7th at 5:30pm for a program of some of my favorite works: Harbison Solo Cello Suite, Messiaen Louange, Debussy Sonata and Brahms Sonata No. 2 in F Major!

Regarding next year, I auditioned to continue my studies at Mannes with my wonderful teacher, in a Professional Studies Diploma! I also auditioned for a couple doctorate programs at SUNY Stony Brook and at Rutgers, but did not receive much financial assistance from either program that enabled me to pursue that degree. I have decided to return to Mannes in order to stay in New York City, a city that a truly love and continue to establish myself as an artist here for the time being. The PSD degree allows for more time to work outside of school with less academic requirements and more credits that are geared towards performance. I think this will be a great segue for me to work out of a home base in a school environment, to continue to hone and refine my skills with my teacher and to establish more connections with my colleagues as we all make our forays out into the "real world." I will be taking plenty of auditions next year for fellowship programs for various ensembles (chamber and orchestra) that can really kickstart and help propel young artists into creating sustainable careers!

I am so lucky to have your continued support as I continue to forge my way in the current musical landscape! I hope I can continue to be a representative of your foundation in a meaningful way and perhaps play some more concerts in the future to benefit the foundation. 

I also have been trying to continue to figure out ways of fundraising for my cello and so far we have accrued about 5,000 dollars towards it, also with your very generous contribution, which I am very thankful for. I wonder if you may have any more ideas about possible donors? Perhaps they could make a tax deductible donation to the foundation as further incentive? The instrument has really been such an inspiring part of my development, that, without it, I don't think I would have been able to realize many of the ideals and ideas of sound that I discuss with my teacher, and how to shape and share my voice, through the instrument it in a meaningful way. I really want to actively find a way to be able to play this instrument for longer, to put a down payment on it, so I don't have to return it back to my loaner and be without an instrument that I have really grown to love. 

Thank you so much for everything that you do for me again, without your support, nothing I have been able to experience through my education would be possible. I hope to see you soon, maybe even at my recital, but I know it is a last minute invitation and a trek down to the city. If not, definitely in the summer, I would love to come visit and play for you! I am going to be in Switzerland for a couple of weeks to start the summer off on a tour and residency, teaching and playing concerts in Lausanne, Benigns, Nyon and Geneva! Then I have some of June and July at home before spending five weeks up at the Caroga Lake Music Festival. I really look forward to hearing from you and seeing you soon!
All the best,

    Julian


No comments:

Post a Comment